WordPress Multisite is a powerful feature that allows you to manage multiple websites from a single installation. However, there are default upload filesize limits for media files in WordPress, which might need adjustment, especially in a multisite environment. In this guide, we’ll show you how to change the upload filesize limit in WordPress Multisite, allowing you to handle larger media files across your network of sites.
Table of Contents
Before making changes, ensure you have:
- Access: Access to your WordPress hosting, preferably via FTP or a hosting control panel.
- Backup: Create a backup of your website, including files and the database, to ensure you can revert if needed.
2. Editing the php.ini File
Follow these steps to increase the upload filesize limit by editing the php.ini file:
- Locate php.ini: Find the php.ini file in the root directory of your WordPress installation or in the “wp-admin” folder.
- Edit php.ini: Open the php.ini file with a text editor and find the “upload_max_filesize” and “post_max_size” directives.
- Update Directives: Increase the values for “upload_max_filesize” and “post_max_size” to the desired limit. For example, to set a limit of 100MB, you can use “100M”.
- Save Changes: Save the modified php.ini file.
3. Editing the .htaccess File
If you don’t have access to the php.ini file, you can try adjusting the upload filesize limit using the .htaccess file:
- Locate .htaccess: Find the .htaccess file in the root directory of your WordPress installation. If it doesn’t exist, you can create one.
- Edit .htaccess: Open the .htaccess file with a text editor and add the following lines:
php_value upload_max_filesize 100M
php_value post_max_size 100M
4. Using Plugins
If you’re uncomfortable editing files directly, you can use plugins designed to adjust upload filesize limits in WordPress:
- Install a Plugin: Search for and install a plugin from the WordPress repository that allows you to modify the upload filesize limit.
- Configure the Plugin: Follow the plugin’s instructions to set the desired upload filesize limit.
By following these steps, you’ll be able to increase the upload filesize limit in your WordPress Multisite installation, enabling you to handle larger media files across your network of sites.